The Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung, founded in 1912 as the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute für Kohlenforschung is a foundation of private law controlled by a Board of Directors and integrated, as one of the 86 institutes, in the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft. It pursues basic research in all fields of catalysis. The central theme of all Departments is basic research in the catalytic transformation of compounds and materials with the highest degree of chemo-, regio- and stereoselectivity under conditions which maximize efficient use of natural resources. Researchers at the institute perform basic research in the fields of organic and organometallic chemistry, homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis, as well as in theoretical chemistry. Five departments, each one headed by one scientific director, form the scientific backbone of the institute. The research departments are supported by service groups that provide state-of-the-art analytics, efficient IT, and excellent hardware from specialized workshops
Role in AMBHER
in situ/operando characterization of the ammonia synthesis catalysts using different techniques such as diffraction, surface and vibrational spectroscopy.